Blake Griffin to host basketball camp in OKC
The NBA's reigning Rookie of the Year and Slam Dunk champion is bringing his talents back to Oklahoma.
This time, he's returning as a coach.
NewsOK Related Articles
Former OU star and current Los Angeles Clippers forward Blake Griffin will hold his first ever basketball camp in Oklahoma City from Aug. 2-5. The camp, for boys and girls between the ages of 7 and 18, will be held at Santa Fe Family Life Center.
For four days, one of the league's biggest stars and most exciting players will personally instruct campers in areas such as performance and on-court skills training and nutrition.
And it was important for Griffin, an Oklahoma City native and Oklahoma Christian School product, to give back to the community that helped him grow into a star.
“Oklahoma, for me, really is my real home,” said Griffin, the No. 1 overall pick in 2008. “I've always wanted to do something in this state for kids by getting them involved in basketball and teaching them some stuff.”
Griffin averaged 22.5 points, 12.1 rebounds and 3.8 assists last season. He led all rookies in points, rebounds and double-doubles before becoming the first player since David Robinson in 1999 to unanimously win the Rookie of the Year award.
From his very first game, Griffin emerged as must-see player. His ability to throw down jaw-dropping dunks turned him into an immediate fan favorite and one of only a handful of NBA stars capable of providing a highlight at any moment.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
COLLEGE BASKETBALL VIDEOS
- 72395Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14464Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 8451Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7239How to help tornado victims
- 6453Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6316Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6292Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community