Bloody bear paw baffles central Ill. authorities
DECATUR, Ill. (AP) — Authorities say a bloody severed body part found along a central Illinois bike trail belonged to a bear.
A walker found the mangled paw on Thanksgiving morning along the bike trail in Decatur. That triggered an investigation by the Macon County Sheriff's Office. Deputies closed part of the path Friday when it was determined the body part did not belong to a human.
The Decatur Herald & Review reports (http://bit.ly/ShoXnK ) authorities have turned the paw over to the Illinois Department of Natural Resources in hopes of discovering how it ended up along the bike path. There was no sign of the rest of the bear.
Sheriff's Sgt. Ron Atkins says there's no reason to worry about bears in the area.
Black bears have not lived in Illinois since the 1800s.
Information from: Herald & Review, http://www.herald-review.com
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad