Blue Jays-Yanks postponed, doubleheader Wednesday
NEW YORK (AP) — Andy Pettitte waited quite a while to get back on the mound for the New York Yankees.
Because of shaky weather, Pettitte got pushed back again.
The game between the Toronto Blue Jays and Yankees scheduled for Tuesday night was postponed because of all-day dampness.
The teams will play a day-night doubleheader Wednesday, with Pettitte starting the opener at 1:05 p.m. and the second game at 7:05 p.m.
"I would have loved to throw today and have no rain. I'm just ready to get out there," Pettitte said.
Pettitte has been out since a line drive by Cleveland's Casey Kotchman broke his left leg near the ankle on June 27. At the time, the 40-year-old lefty was expected to miss at least six weeks.
Pettitte's injury took longer to heal, however, and he became more and more antsy to get back out on the mound. Especially with the Yankees in a pennant race, having started the day with a half-game lead over Baltimore in the AL East.
Another day, another delay. Rather than being in the middle of the diamond, Pettitte threw under the stands as the rain fell.
"It's kind of par for the course for Andy," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "I'm sure for him it's not the best thing."
Girardi said it was easily determined whether Pettitte (3-3) or rookie David Phelps (4-4) would pitch the first game or the nightcap.
"Andy, you kind of give him his choice," Girardi said. "So that was the process."
Pettitte will probably throw between 70-75 pitches, Girardi said. It could be a few more if, for example, Pettitte is pitching well and a left-handed hitter is leading off the next inning.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 20835Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17666Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12055Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 10703Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 9067Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8577Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense
- 8462Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments