Bob Stoops declines to address Jalen Saunders' Cotton Bowl status
NORMAN — Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops declined to address Jalen Saunders' Cotton Bowl status Tuesday, when he spoke to reporters for the first time since the junior receiver's arrest for marijuana possession.
Videoview all videos
Dec 18Berry Tramel and Jason Kersey look ahead to the Sooners'...
Dec 18OU's head coach talks about the challenge that lies...
Dec 17Each time Metoyer wanted to quit, he leaned on those...
Dec 4Will Saunders be suspended because of his arrest?
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“Those matters are handled internally,” Stoops said. “Once that’s determined, I’ll say so.”
Saunders, who transferred from Fresno State and became eligible before the Sooners’ Oct. 13 game against Texas, quickly turned into one of the team’s most dynamic offensive weapons. He caught 53 passes for 766 yards and three touchdowns.
Saunders was arrested early in the morning on Sunday, Dec. 2, hours after the Sooners’ regular-season finale, a 24-17 victory at TCU.
KING TIRED OF ‘JOHNNY FOOTBALL’ TALK
Oklahoma faces the enormously difficult task of defending Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel, the 2012 Heisman Trophy winner who was voted The Associated Press’ Player of the Year on Tuesday, in a few short weeks.
Senior defensive end David King said he’s excited for the matchup, and that the hype surrounding Manziel — nicknamed “Johnny Football” — is extra motivation.
“We have to sit around here for a month and watch ESPN and all they talk about is ‘Johnny Football,’ or ‘Johnny Heisman,’ or whatever they call him now,” King said. “The whole national media is scrutinizing our defense and that we can’t stop the run.
“We have a lot to prove and, on January 4, we’ll be ready to play.”
JONES: JOHNSON ONE OF TEAM’S BEST ATHLETES
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 33271Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 24362Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6895OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 6548Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4476OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 4156Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3398Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater