Bob Stoops: Expectations the same for OU quarterback Sam Bradford
IRVING, Texas — Sam Bradford had a dream season in 2008. The Oklahoma quarterback won several individual awards including the Heisman Trophy while leading OU to the BCS title game.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
During his redshirt sophomore campaign in Norman, Bradford was 328 of 483 for 4,720 yards and 50 touchdowns as he became the first OU quarterback to win two Big 12 titles.
Yet, OU coach Bob Stoops says the expectations for Bradford remain the same.
"It's going to be hard to improve on those stats," Stoops said during Big 12 Media Days on Tuesday. "We aren't concerned about statistics. It's making the smart plays, being consistent playing in the system and avoiding bad plays. It's managing the game, that's all we him want to do."
With the departures of NFL Draft picks Manny Johnson and Juaquin Iglesias, Bradford will be searching for new targets at the receiver position in 2009.
"Sam will have a good number of targets," Stoops said. "Ryan Broyles was a big play guy a year ago he'll have to step up and be more so (this year)."
Fortunately for the Sooners, tight end Jermaine Gresham, a potential first round draft pick returned for his senior year. And the versatility of players like Brody Eldridge and running back/slot receiver Mossis Madu lessens the pressure on the Sooners' wide receiving corps.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 36331Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15449Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9864Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9824Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9353Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7992Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7895Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister