Bob Stoops impressed with Blake Bell, but Landry Jones is the guy
Videoview all videos
Aug 6Sooners starting QB Landry Jones has shaved off his...
Aug 6The Sooners head coach met with the media on Friday and...
Aug 6The Sooner sophomore quarterback talks about maturing on...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Stoops even went as far as to say Jones reminded him of Sooner great quarterbacks Josh Heupel, Jason White and Bradford.
"He is in that style of guy, when you look at the quarterbacks we've had over the years," Stoops said. "I really believe Landry is in that mold."
But not all Sooner fans are convinced. One-fourth of those who participated in The Oklahoman's poll said Jones is only keeping the spot warm, until Bell is ready.
"I live in Wichita, and I've seen Blake play, and man, that guy can play," said Steve Martin, who drove down for Meet the Sooners Day. "I think Bell will take it from Landry."
Bell, one of the top high school prospects from a year ago, will sure try.
But Jones, who had little competition last season after Bradford went down, welcomes that challenge from Bell and Drew Allen, who redshirted as a freshman last season.
"Coming to a program like Oklahoma, you're always going to have great players behind you. You have Drew. You have Blake. If I take a day off, they'll be there, trying to take my spot," Jones said.
"But competition always makes you better. It's good to have Drew and Blake pushing me."
It will be interesting to see how Jones deals with that pressure. With Bell or Allen geared up to take the helm if Jones struggles against Florida State or Cincinnati or Texas.
But until that day comes, Jones is the guy.
For now. And the foreseeable future.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 31040Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15616Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10323Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9726Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9655Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8284Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8255Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena