Bob Stoops' Sooners have good record in non-BCS bowls
The Sooners lost in the Independence Bowl in Bob Stoops' first season, but since then they've won all three non-BCS bowl games: The 2002 Cotton Bowl, the 2005 Holiday Bowl and the 2009 Sun Bowl.
Bob Stoops says his Sooners shouldn't have any trouble getting motivated for the Insight Bowl. His track record suggests he's right.
Since winning the 2000 national championship, OU has failed to reach a BCS bowl only three times previous. The Sooners won all three games:
Videoview all videos
Dec 9After the national championship game was off limits, the...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
* 10-3 over Arkansas in the 2002 Cotton Bowl (2001 season).
* 17-14 over fifth-ranked Oregon in the 2005 Holiday Bowl.
* 31-27 over Stanford in the 2009 Sun Bowl.
In Stoops' first season, the Sooners lost to Ole Miss 27-25 in the 1999 Independence Bowl.
The Insight ranks fourth in the Big 12 bowl pecking order this season. In 1999, the Independence ranked fifth. In 2001, the Cotton ranked second. In 2005, the Holiday ranked third. And in 2009, the Sun ranked fifth.
So the Insight ranks in the middle in terms of prestige among Stoops' non-BCS assignments.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14537OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 9306Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6496Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6052Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5977Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5977Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3990As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in