Bobby V: Bosox roster in September 'weakest' ever

Associated Press Modified: September 14, 2012 at 7:02 pm •  Published: September 14, 2012
Advertisement
;

TORONTO (AP) — Boston Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine says his team's roster is beyond depleted.

Valentine was asked before Friday night's game in Toronto what part of his last-place club would benefit most from some extra call-ups.

"Are you kidding?" Valentine said. "This is the weakest roster we've ever had in September in the history of baseball. It could use help everywhere."

Winding down a forgettable season, the Red Sox began the day with a record of 64-80, 17½ games behind Baltimore and New York in the AL East. Boston, 11-29 since Aug. 1, would be eliminated from the division race with a loss Friday and a win by either the Yankees or Orioles.

The Red Sox have lost 18 of 23 overall. Among AL teams, only Cleveland and Minnesota have worse records.

Boston's roster has been thinned by trades and injuries. Josh Beckett, Adrian Gonzalez and Nick Punto were dealt to the Dodgers last month, along with injured outfielder Carl Crawford. Veteran Kevin Youkilis was traded to the Chicago White Sox earlier this season.

Slugger David Ortiz and rookie Will Middlebrooks are two of the five Red Sox currently on the disabled list, a list that also includes long-term absentee John Lackey. Former MVP Dustin Pedroia is away following the birth of his second son, but is expected to rejoin the Red Sox in Toronto sometime this weekend.

| |

Advertisement


Trending Now



AROUND THE WEB

  1. 1
    Hotel leaves Oklahoma City Thunder opponents telling ghost stories
  2. 2
    Check out the Thunder postseason playlist
  3. 3
    VIDEO: Blake Griffin dumps water on a fan
  4. 4
    Oklahoma City Thunder: Grizzlies guard Nick Calathes calls drug suspension unfair
  5. 5
    Dave Chappelle Reveals Shockingly Buff New Look
+ show more