Boca Juniors miss chance to gain on Newell's
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) — Boca Juniors missed a chance to challenge Argentine league leaders Newell's Old Boys after failing to break the deadlock in a 0-0 draw against Estudiantes on Sunday.
Newell's and Estudiantes played out a lackluster match in a steady downpour at Boca's La Bombonera stadium in Buenos Aires.
River Plate, Argentina's other most famous club, lost at Quilmes 1-0. Boca and River meet next week at River's Monumental stadium in Argentina's most heated derby match.
In another match Sunday, Lanus won 2-1 at Atletico Rafaela.
Newell's leads the Argentine first division with 23 points from 11 matches, two ahead of Racing Club and three up on Velez Sarsfield.
In other weekend results it was: Arsenal 2, Colon 0; Argentinos Juniors 0, Independiente 1; All Boys 1, Belgrano 0; Union 1, San Martin 2; Godoy Cruz 0, San Lorenzo 0; Tigre 0, Velez Sarsfield 1; Racing Club 0, Newell's 0.
The attention for Boca and River turns quickly to the "Superclasico" between the two iconic Buenos Aires clubs.
"We are going to prepare the best way we know how during an important week," River coach Matias Almeyda said.
The clubs have not played an "official" match in 17 months. In the last meeting as first-division clubs, Boca won 2-0 in May 2011. River was demoted to the second division just over a month later.
Martin Cauteruccio scored in the 59th in Quilmes' win over River Plate. Quilmes improved to 14 points and River stayed on 15.
Carlos Araujo scored the winner for Lanus in the 75th. Paolo Goltz scored the other in the 39th. Rafaela's only goal was by Sebastian Grazzini in the 76th.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 30612Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15589Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10266Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9653Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9634Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8172Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8167Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena