H: ° L: °,
Boca scores late to draw 2-2 with River Plate
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) — Walter Erviti scored close to fulltime Sunday to rescue a 2-2 draw for Boca Juniors against River Plate in the Superclasico, the seasonal showdown between Argentina's two most famous clubs.
Erviti chipped the ball in from close range when River goalkeeper Marcelo Barovero misjudged another shot, giving the player an opening in added time.
Leonardo Ponzio scored after only 90 seconds and Rodrgio Mora added another in 70th minute as River Plate took a 2-0 lead. Santiago Silva scored for Boca with a 76th-minute penalty in front of a sellout crowd at River's Monumental stadium.
Boca is now seven points behind leader Newell's Old Boys. River Plate is 10 off the pace.
"Thankfully, we were able to get an important point," said Erviti, whose goal deflated the morale of 50,000 River fans.
There seemed to be no major incidents of violence after the match, although several Boca fans as they left the stadium were struck by objects apparently thrown by River fans.
The draw may do little to help Boca coach Julio Falcioni and River counterpart Matias Almeyda.
Falcioni is unpopular among many Boca fans, and River is always in danger of relegation after spending last season in the second division.
In late matches on Sunday, Belgrano defeated Union 1-0, and Lanus downed Argentinos Juniors 1-0.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 19883Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16750Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12000Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 11023Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 8434Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8422Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head with machete in self-defense
- 7521Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments