Body found in car is missing Kingfisher County woman, family says
The Oklahoma County sheriff's department confirmed the vehicle found upside down in northwest Oklahoma County creek Saturday morning belonged to Betty Simon, 77, of Kingfisher County. Oklahoma County Sheriff John Whetsel said foul play was not suspected in the death.
A 77-year-old Kingfisher County grandmother who had been missing more than a week was found dead inside her vehicle early Saturday by a volunteer search party, her family said.
Photoview all 7 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Investigators with the Oklahoma County sheriff's department said Betty Simon's vehicle was found upside down in a shallow creek in northwest Oklahoma County. It was pulled out of the creek about 3 p.m.
“I still break down and cry, but gosh, it's so good to find her and have closure,” said Angie Habben, Simon's eldest granddaughter. “We're all relieved.”
Simon had been missing since June 20 after she left a rehabilitation center in northwest Oklahoma City where her husband is staying since he had open heart surgery.
Family members said their concerns about Simon's disappearance were magnified because she suffered from heart disease and required medication.
Simon's vehicle, a silver Buick LeSabre, was discovered about 10:30 a.m., just a couple hours after about 100 volunteer searchers fanned out to look along the rural routes between Oklahoma City and Kingfisher.
Pam Smith, a family friend, said she spotted the undercarriage of a silver sedan when she peered over the railing of a creek crossing on N Council Road, just south of NW 178 Street.
The car was in about two feet of water and was partially obscured by the bridge, Smith said. It could not been seen from the road.
“It was that far under the bridge, completely camouflaged by debris,” Smith said.
Investigators think the vehicle left the roadway as far as 100 feet south of the bridge, and went through the ditch on the west side of the roadway and into the creek.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 12604Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10239Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9732Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9189Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6670Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4472Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4240Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates