Bonino, Perry lift Ducks to SO win over Predators
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — The Nashville Predators made Anaheim goaltender Viktor Fasth work hard to continue the perfect start to his NHL career.
Nick Bonino and Corey Perry scored in the shootout and the Ducks beat the Predators 3-2 on Saturday night to earn their fourth straight victory and eighth in their last nine games.
In the tiebreaker, Fasth allowed just one of three Nashville shooters to score. The 30-year-old improved to 8-0-0 on the season, with four of those victories coming in shootouts.
"We weren't on it right from the start, but we battled our way into the game," Fasth said. "I'm glad that we got away with a win today."
It was the second time in as many games this season that the teams went to a shootout. The first came Jan. 26 in Anaheim in Fasth's NHL debut.
"We played a pretty good game against a pretty good team," Nashville coach Barry Trotz said. "Both times we have played them, it has gone to a shootout. Unfortunately, we haven't been on the positive side yet on that shootout, but did we play well? Yeah, absolutely."
Pekka Rinne stopped one of Anaheim's three shootout attempts. The loss halted Nashville's three-game winning streak.
David Legwand scored the game's first goal at 13:31 of the opening period when he popped in the rebound of defenseman Jonathon Blum's shot from the point.
"Just having that 5-on-5 mentality where you just want to be greasy and get pucks to the net and have people there," Blum said. "Leggy was in the right spot, and I had a good play."
Matt Beleskey evened the score at 1 at 17:25 of the first.
As Beleskey was skating through the slot, Perry hit him with a pass, and Beleskey beat Rinne high for his third goal of the season.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13851OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 13814Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 9624Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 7322Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 7022Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 5771Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5205Student shot dead during botched home invasion