Oklahoma State football: Boone Pickens takes no credit in bringing Dana Holgorsen to Stillwater
STILLWATER — Boone Pickens was a little down this week. Mitt Romney had lost the night before. Boone was glad to talk a little football.
Videoview all videos
Nov 9Will Mike Gundy and his OSU football team secure another...
Nov 9Nov. 9, 2012: Mike Sherman leads a sports roundtable...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The Oklahoma State Cowboys have become a nice diversion for Boone. OSU football beats natural gas cars in reaching the national consciousness.
Dana Holgorsen is one reason why. The one-year wonder transformed OSU with his Air Raid offense that still sizzles today, even when the Cowboys have no idea who will quarterback it.
Saturday, Holgorsen brings his West Virginia Mountaineers into Boone's stadium, and despite theories to the contrary, Boone takes no credit for Holgorsen's drive-by season in Stillwater.
“I didn't know anything about him,” Boone said of Mike Gundy's 2010 offensive coordinator, hired away from Houston U. after a long stretch with Mike Leach at Texas Tech.
“Nothing. I knew a little bit about him after he got there. I didn't try to get any background. I was not included in that decision at all. Didn't have anything to do with that.”
But Boone learned quickly. Holgorsen was an offensive mastermind and Holgorsen had itchy feet to become a head coach.
“He was no question going to be a hit and run in Stillwater,” Boone said. “Wasn't going to be around there very long.”
Holgorsen went to West Virginia with the promise of being the next Mountaineer head coach. Promise kept. Holgorsen took over WVU before the 2011 season and coached the ‘Neers to an Orange Bowl victory.
“Doesn't surprise me,” Boone said. “He's a guy that can put an exciting team on the field. We know that. He taught us a lot of about offensive football.”
Boone was a big proponent of keeping the Big 12 together in its old form. When that didn't happen, Boone championed TCU's admission and wasn't crazy about the geographic ramifications of adding West Virginia.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister