Bosnia holds Greece 0-0 in WCup qualifier
PIRAEUS, Greece (AP) — Bosnia held Greece to a 0-0 draw in a World Cup qualifier Friday, with both sides squandering chances to score.
An unmarked Fanis Gekas hit the post in the fifth minute after Georgios Samaras pushed his way past two defenders to set up the chance.
Zvjezdan Misimovic hit back in the 24th, beating Greek goalkeeper Orestis Karnezis with a shot from close range, but Yiannis Maniatis cleared the ball off the line.
Ten minutes later, Greece's Vassilis Torosidis hit the crossbar.
Greece dominated in the second half, spurred on by Giorgos Karagounis who came on in the 66th minute, for his 121st cap to become Greece's all-time leader in international appearances and beat former captain Theo Zagorakis' record set in 2007.
Dimitris Salpigidis could have settled it for Greece in the 78th with only Bosnia goalkeeper Asmir Begovic to beat but his shot was blocked.
Friday's result let Slovakia share the lead in Group G with Greece and Bosnia, with the three countries level on seven points.
"I think we were a bit unlucky ... We're not happy with the result, but there's nothing we can do about it now," Greece coach Fernando Santos said. "They were always dangerous but we were in control in the second half.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 15391Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9463Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8117Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7214Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6364Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6332Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6331Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit