The Sooners will face Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel in the Cotton Bowl on Jan. 4. Berry Tramel takes a look at the history of Heisman winners and bowl games.
Greatest Heisman bowl games
The 10 greatest individual performances by Heisman winners in bowl games:
1. 1938 Davey O'Brien, TCU: In a 15-7 Sugar Bowl victory over Carnegie-Mellon, O'Brien completed 17 of 27 passes for 224 yards, including a 44-yard TD pass. Monster numbers for pre-World War II.
2. 1972 Johnny Rodgers, Nebraska: In a 40-6 Orange Bowl rout of Notre Dame, Rodgers had a marvelous all-around game. He rushed 15 times for 81 yards and three touchdowns from his wingback position. Rodgers also had three catches for 71 yards, including a 50-yard TD reception from David Humm. As a bonus, Rodgers threw a 52-yard TD pass to Frosty Anderson.
3. 2004 Matt Leinart, Southern Cal: In a 55-19 blowout of OU in the national championship Orange Bowl, Leinart completed 18 of 35 passes for 332 yards, five touchdowns and no interceptions.
4. 1968 O.J. Simpson, Southern Cal: In a 27-16 loss to eventual national champion Ohio State, Simpson rushed 28 times for 171 yards and a touchdown, plus had eight catches for 85 yards.
5. 1962 Terry Baker, Oregon State: In a 6-0 Liberty Bowl victory over Villanova, Baker didn't post huge numbers. He rushed 13 times for 137 yards and completed nine of 21 passes for 123 yards. But that lone touchdown in the game? It came on Baker's 99-yard run in the first quarter.
6. 1996 Danny Wuerffel, Florida: In a 52-20 Sugar Bowl rout of Florida State to win the national championship, Wuerffel completed 18 of 34 passes for 306 yards, three TDs and one interception.
7. 1979 Charles White, Southern Cal: In a 17-16 Rose Bowl victory over Ohio State, White carried 39 times for 242 yards and a touchdown.
8. 1976 Tony Dorsett, Pittsburgh: In a 27-3 Sugar Bowl rout of Georgia to secure the national title, Dorsett carried 32 times for 202 yards and a touchdown.
9. 1988 Barry Sanders, Oklahoma State: In a 52-14 Sun Bowl thrashing of Wyoming, Sanders rushed 29 times for 225 yards and five touchdowns, despite not playing in the fourth quarter.
10. 2002 Carson Palmer, Southern Cal: In a 38-17 Orange Bowl victory over Iowa, Palmer completed 21 of 31 passes for 303 yards, one TD and no interceptions.
Bowls by Heismans
The Orange Bowl has featured more current Heisman Trophy winners than any other bowl, with 11. The list:
BCS Title Game 4*
Capital One/Citrus 2
* Two were played at the Fiesta Bowl site and one each at the Orange Bowl and Rose Bowl.
Heisman winners who didn't play in a bowl
Twenty-four of the 77 Heisman winners did not play in bowl games following their Heisman season:
1936: Jay Berwanger, Chicago
1937: Larry Kelley, Yale
1939: Nile Kinnick, Iowa
1940: Tom Harmon, Michigan
1941: Bruce Smith, Minnesota
1943: Angelo Bertelli, Notre Dame
1944: Les Horvath, Ohio State
1945: Doc Blanchard, Army
1946: Glenn Davis, Army
1947: Johnny Lujack, Notre Dame
1949: Leon Hart, Notre Dame
1950: Vic Janowicz, Ohio State
1951: Dick Kazmaier, Princeton
1952: Billy Vessels, OU
1953: Johnny Lattner, Notre Dame
1954: Alan Amache, Wisconsin 1955: Howard Cassady, Ohio State
1956: Paul Hornung, Notre Dame
1958: Pete Dawkins, Army
1964: John Huarte, Notre Dame
1965: Mike Garrett, Southern Cal
1967: Gary Beban, UCLA
1969: Steve Owens, OU
1989: Andre Ware, Houston