Boy Scouts misconduct files contain several Oklahoma cases
The Boy Scouts, under court order, last week released more than 14,500 pages of confidential files on cases of alleged sexual misconduct across the country dating from 1959-85. The files include the names of nine Oklahoma-based Scouting officials alleged to have engaged in child sexual abuse
In other cases, and in a manner that shadowed cases across the nation, the Oklahoma files also showed evidence of local authorities seeking to shield the Boy Scouts from negative publicity.
In a 1974 case from Lawton, a local Scout executive sought to have a Scout leader included in the confidential files after he was charged with lewd molestation involving a 12-year-old boy.
The executive said he'd met with local media officials and that the matter was “being handled discreetly.”
The suspect, who was “considered one of the foremost Scoutmasters” in the Lawton area was later acquitted of the charges.
In a 1979 case in Eufaula, a Scout leader was accused of sexually abusing several boys. He later admitted to some of the abuse. A father sought criminal charges against the leader, but the prosecutor deferred pending a mental evaluation, according to the files. There's no indication in the file that a criminal case was ever pursued.
Boy Scout officials acknowledge that law enforcement was not involved in about a third of the cases nationwide.
The organization is now reviewing those cases to determine whether reason still exists to alert law enforcement.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 13578Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 13348OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10346Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 8794Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 7680Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5623Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5418Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?