Boys basketball Player of the Week: Rashawn Thomas, Southeast
While Southeast is working to gain respect as one of the more talented boys basketball teams in Class 5A, Thomas is leading the way as one of the best — though somewhat unknown — players in the state.
Just like his team, Southeast forward Rashawn Thomas appears to be flying under the radar.
While the Spartans are working to gain respect as one of the more talented boys basketball teams in Class 5A, Thomas is leading the way as one of the best — though somewhat unknown — players in the state.
NewsOK Related Articles
Thomas, a 6-foot-7 senior forward, carried the Southeast offense in four victories last week, winning the Shawnee Invitational and earning The Oklahoman's Boys Basketball Player of the Week honors.
Thomas began the week with a 41-point outing against Northwest Classen and led the team in scoring in Shawnee, which included wins over Class 6A opponents Stillwater and Norman North.
For the week, he averaged 25.8 points and anchored Southeast's defensive and rebounding efforts in the paint.
Recruiting is starting to pick up for the long, athletic Thomas, too. He has scholarship offers from places such as Arkansas-Fort Smith and Houston Baptist, and other programs are coming in as well.
“I'm hearing from Tulsa, Lamar, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, South Dakota and some others,” he said.
But for now, Thomas' focus remains on the court with his teammates, where they're trying to get Southeast back to the state tournament for the first time since 2008.
Currently ranked seventh in 5A, the Spartans are 16-4 on the year. Three of those losses came in two Texas tournaments, and the other was against Stillwater in November.
“We feel we have something to prove, and people think we aren't as good as we really are,” Thomas said. “We're on a win streak right now, and we want to keep it going.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 83313Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 56374Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 33323Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 23846Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 23231Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8483Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 8265Oklahoma sucker-punched by second round of twisters