Boys basketball roundup: Douglass' Stephen Clark reaches 3,000 points in win
Clark, DeAngelo Smith finish game with 19 points each as Trojans whip Northeast, 80-66
For all the flashy drives to the basket and long-range 3-pointers Douglass point guard Stephen Clark has made in his career, he made history with a free throw.
Photoview all 13 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
When he hit a shot from the line midway through the third quarter, Clark became the eighth boys basketball player in state history to score 3,000 career points, making for a special senior night at Douglass on Friday.
Clark finished with 19 points, as did teammate DeAngelo Smith, in an 80-66 win over Northeast.
“It means a lot, just another stepping stone for what I've done in my career at Douglass, and hopefully I can continue it at Oklahoma State next year,” Clark said.
Clark made five 3-pointers, Smith hit four, and Deondre Clark added 15 points inside as Class 4A No. 2 Douglass improved to 19-3.
The Trojans built their lead to 20 points in the fourth quarter. Northeast, ranked No. 1 in 2A, fought back within 10, but couldn't close the gap any farther. Northeast was led by Deshawn Watson with 18 points.
Douglass closes the regular season at Northwest Classen on Tuesday before heading into the playoffs next week, when it will begin the quest for a fourth straight championship.
Here are the current all-time scoring leaders in state history: Rotnei Clark, Verdigris, 3,758; Keiton Page, Pawnee, 3,709; Ty Harman, Maud, 3,639; Kelenna Azubuike, Victory Christian, 3,530; Dalen Qualls, Stratford, 3,290; Lane Adams, Red Oak, 3,251; Kenneth Johnson, Grandfield, 3,191; Stephen Clark, Douglass, 3,007.
COOPER HELPS CAPITOL HILL SEAL WIN
Junior Ryan Cooper scored 10 of his 18 points in the fourth quarter as Capitol Hill pulled away for a 68-54 win over Northwest Classen.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 36331Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15449Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9864Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9824Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9353Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7992Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7895Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister