High school notebook: Braden Stringer boosts Blanchard run game
Lions improve to 10-1, host Hilldale in Class 3A quarterfinals after winning first two playoff games on the road.
Blanchard bombed Madill 60-7 Friday night as junior running back Braden Stringer rushed for 185 yards on just eight carries.
Stringer had a 66-yard touchdown run on Blanchard's first possession and later added a 39-yard scoring run as the Lions never were threatened.
“Had a good night,” Blanchard coach Jeff Craig said. “We got off to a quick start, and I think some of that doubt started to creep in their heads and it just snowballed on them.”
Blanchard rushed for 379 yards as a team. The Lions now get a home game Friday night against Hilldale in the Class 3A quarterfinals after winning their first two playoff games on the road.
Blanchard (10-1) only played four home games during the regular season because of a bye week.
“Everybody down here is sky high to have a home game. They are tired of driving,” Craig said.
Craig said at the beginning of the season the Lions, who missed the playoffs last year, had the chance to be really good.
“I think we have kind of flown under the radar,” he said. “Nobody really talked about us early on. We feel like we can play with anybody.”
HISTORIC BATTLE FOR CLINTON, ADA
Long before Jenks and Tulsa Union became the dominant forces in Oklahoma high school football, Clinton and Ada held the spot.
Ada has 19 state championships, and Clinton has 15. Clinton has 763 all-time victories — most in the state — and Ada has 762.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister