Braves option Gearrin to Gwinnett, recall Varvaro
ATLANTA (AP) — Cory Gearrin, who gave up Nick Swisher's tie-breaking, two-run homer in the Braves' 6-4 loss to the Yankees on Tuesday night, has been optioned to Triple-A Gwinnett.
The 26-year-old right-hander was with Atlanta only two days.
Gearrin, recalled from Gwinnett on Monday, appeared in two games and was charged with only one run in Tuesday night's loss. He took over after Jonny Venters gave up Alex Rodriguez's grand slam and a single to Robinson Cano, who scored on Swisher's homer.
Right-hander Anthony Varvaro was recalled from Gwinnett for Wednesday night's game against New York. The 27-year-old was 0-2 with a 2.63 ERA in 18 games with Atlanta last season. He has two saves and a 2.81 ERA in 18 games with Gwinnett.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12675Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11502Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6315Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5431Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 5078Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4467OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3964How to help tornado victims