Brazil protest ruled out; 1 threat to Cup averted

Published on NewsOK Modified: June 10, 2014 at 10:03 am •  Published: June 10, 2014
Advertisement
;

SAO PAULO (AP) — One of the Brazilian movements behind recent demonstrations against the World Cup says it will not stage protests during the monthlong event that begins Thursday in Sao Paulo.

Guilherme Boulos is the head of the Homeless Workers Movement. He says in an emailed statement the government has agreed to its demands for low-cost housing.

He says that the government is promising to build 2,000 houses on land invaded last month by thousands of people just 2 miles (3 kilometers) from the stadium where the tournament's opening match will be played.

The movement had pledged to stage massive demonstrations during the World Cup if its demands were not met.



Trending Now


AROUND THE WEB

  1. 1
    Angels won't cap former OU pitcher Garrett Richards' innings
  2. 2
    McDonald's Allegedly Fires Mom Whose Daughter Played Outside While She Worked
  3. 3
    Verizon: We track you, you get free stuff
  4. 4
    Is this Apple's new iWatch?
  5. 5
    Survey: Users unhappy with Facebook
+ show more