SAO PAULO (AP) — Brazil's sports tribunal says the club that abandoned a second-division match claiming it had a court order allowing it to play in the top flight could face exclusion from the championship.
Portuguesa players left the field in the 16th minute of their match against Joinville on Friday after a court official showed up and presented the ruling to team officials and referees.
The Brazilian football federation said the court order wasn't valid because it was issued by a judge without jurisdiction over the case.
The attorney general at the country's top sports tribunal said charges against Portuguesa are expected to be filed next week.
"Portuguesa shouldn't have left the pitch," Paulo Schmitt told Brazilian reporters. "It will be subjected to punishment that ranges from loss of points to a fine or even exclusion. The tribunal will have to analyze the match reports."
Portuguesa officials said the club shouldn't face any punishment because it could not disobey the judicial order presented by the court official.
Portuguesa and its fans have been filing lawsuits in civil courts trying to get reinstated to the top division of the Brazilian league that begins on Saturday. The club avoided demotion on the field last year but was relegated after the sports tribunal stripped it of four points for using a suspended player in the final round. Officials said the Brazilian federation did not properly advise the club of the suspension.
Continue reading this story on the...