Brazilians prepare to go on strike after attack

Published on NewsOK Modified: February 4, 2014 at 5:50 pm •  Published: February 4, 2014
Advertisement
;

SAO PAULO (AP) — Brazilian players are preparing to go on strike and halt the country's leading championship this weekend to demand more security after an attack by fans of a top club.

Players said Tuesday they don't intend to play in the Sao Paulo state championship after Corinthians players were attacked on Saturday at the team's training center by about 100 fans upset with poor results.

In a statement, Corinthians players said the strike is supported by the "Common Sense" players' movement, which is seeking to improve Brazilian football, and by a union that is gathering support from players at the championship's other 19 clubs.

Saturday's attack was the latest incident to tarnish the image of Brazilian football just a few months before the World Cup.

There are ongoing problems with the country's preparations for the sport's showcase event, with host city Curitiba still in danger of being dropped. There's also uncertainty over the start of this year's Brazilian national league because of ongoing lawsuits against a sports tribunal decision that altered the tournament's result last year.

On top of that, outbreaks of fan violence plagued Brazilian stadiums throughout last year and raised safety concerns ahead of the World Cup.

The problems meant that Saturday's events were only the latest to hit the headlines.

Nearly 100 fans cut through a wire mesh fence to invade Corinthians' training ground, where Iran's national squad will be based during the World Cup in June. They attacked team employees and grabbed Peruvian striker Paolo Guerrero by his neck, forcing other players to flee to a locker room and barricade themselves in until police arrived.

"We are fed up with these unpunished acts of violence in football," Corinthian players said in the statement. "The grotesque scenes of violence this weekend indicate that an unprecedented tragedy is about to occur at the work place of professional clubs across Brazil. We will not accept that. We need to put a stop to this by creating a task force that can offer proper security to professional players and the righteous fans."



Trending Now


AROUND THE WEB

  1. 1
    Report: Caron Butler close to two-year deal with Detroit Pistons
  2. 2
    It’s harder to be a poor student in the U.S. than in Russia
  3. 3
    Man fatally stabbed in west Tulsa early Sunday
  4. 4
    How brain imaging can be used to predict the stock market
  5. 5
    Bridenstine tours Fort Sill, satisfied with facility's transparency
+ show more