Copyright ©2012 The Associated Press. Produced by NewsOK.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Bringing down the house
Paul and Cindy Updegraff's home at 641 E Brooks is demolished in Norman on Friday. The house was damaged by flooding in August. By STEVE SISNEY, THE OKLAHOMANInstead of feeling despondent, the couple decided to throw a going-away party. "We've had a lot of fun in this house for a lot of years,” said Cindy Updegraff, who had 23 flower gardens on the property. "We wanted to invite our friends on over for a final good-bye.”
Bringing down the house
Couple cheer destruction of their home
NORMAN — Paul and Cindy Updegraff hosted a party Friday that brought the house down.The Norman couple's house at 641 E Brooks St., where Paul Updegraff had lived since 1971, was demolished Friday morning. The low-lying house next to Bishop Creek was ruined in August by flooding that followed inland of Tropical Storm Erin.
Paul and Cindy Updegraff's home at 641 E Brooks is demolished in Norman on Friday. The house was damaged by flooding in August. By STEVE SISNEY, THE OKLAHOMAN
‘Worthy of a party'About 20 people joined the Updegraffs to watch M&M Wrecking of Blanchard use a trackhoe to destroy the house. The leveling started at 8:45 a.m. The group let out "ooohs” and "ahhhs” while watching the house's 10-minute destruction from across the street. Minutes earlier they were chatting together, with coffee and refreshments. The scene was new for trackhoe operator Jeff Mason. "I've seen them cry their house away, but I've never seen them party their house away,” Mason said.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 12604Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10239Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9732Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9189Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6670Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4472Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4240Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates