Broncos cut 10th-year CB Drayton Florence
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) — Tenth-year cornerback Drayton Florence was cut Friday when the Denver Broncos kept three quarterbacks on their roster.
Caleb Hanie was sacked nine times in the preseason but he played better than 21-year-old rookie Brock Osweiler, who was drafted in the second round as the Broncos' QB of the future.
Hanie will back up four-time MVP Peyton Manning.
"He made it. Surprise," cracked Broncos boss John Elway.
If things go the way Manning and Elway hope, neither Hanie nor Osweiler will see the field in 2012.
Elway said Manning's progress from a series of neck surgeries that weakened his throwing arm and led to him switching teams in the offseason is on track.
"He's probably right where I thought he'd be," Elway said. "I really didn't have a lot of doubts once we heard the reports when we were back at Duke in March, and the expectations of what we heard from the doctors and where he would be at this point in time — if anything he's exceeded that.
"So, is it surprising to me? No. And so we're excited to finally get through the camp and through all that hype that we've been through since Peyton's been here and it's time now to start playing football, which is the fun part."
Florence signed a two-year deal with Denver in May after his release from Buffalo, but the Broncos kept just five cornerbacks when they trimmed their roster to 53. Tony Carter won the nickel back job and fourth-round draft pick Omar Bolden will be the dime back.
Asked why he kept Carter over Florence, Elway said, "He played better. ... We just felt that Tony was a better football player."
The Broncos also kept veteran linebacker Keith Brooking, who missed the entire preseason after pulling a hamstring during his second practice.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13578Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 13348OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10346Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 8794Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 7680Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5623Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5418Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?