Browns tweak front office, Mike Lombardi now GM
CLEVELAND (AP) — A week from chasing NFL free agents, the Cleveland Browns changed their front office.
Ray Farmer, who spent the past seven seasons with Kansas City, was hired as the Browns' new assistant general manager Tuesday. The addition of Famer led to Mike Lombardi's title being switched from vice president of player personnel to GM.
CEO Joe Banner said plans to bring Farmer aboard had been in the works "for a little while." But in order to get Farmer from the Chiefs he had to be promoted and that meant Lombardi's title had to change. Banner made it clear that Lombardi's responsibilities would remain the same, and that Farmer would assist the GM in overseeing the pro and college scouting departments.
"He adds a voice," Banner said of Farmer, "and as a top-tier player evaluator in the NFL."
Lombardi was hired on Jan. 18 after spending the past five years working as a TV commentator. He previously worked in Cleveland under former coach Bill Belichick.
"There's no change in Mike's position at all," Banner said during a conference call. "It's purely an add of Ray. The title change just facilitated our getting permission from Kansas City."
Banner worked with the 38-year-old Farmer in Philadelphia and said he always had the former linebacker in mind as someone he wanted to work with in another organization.
"He's a very bright, hard-working guy," Banner said. "He understands the elements of putting together a team versus just picking players."
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12757Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10379Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9755Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9478Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6719Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4489Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4265Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates