Buck gets ahold of a grammar problem
May 26 Buck's English
Ben Bailey, of Altus, wants Buck to help him get hold of the correct understanding of “ahold.”
Ben saw it recently in a Swayback Daily Kick editorial: “Pentobarbital has become nigh impossible to get ahold of because the manufacturer no longer sells it to prison systems that intend to use it in executions.”
“I need to ‘get a good hold on my shovel,' or ‘hold on to the rail,'” he said, “but to use the telephone (for example) to ‘get hold of my lawyer,' or, worse yet, to ‘get ahold of my mother-in-law' strikes me as slangy, if not outright ungrammatical. Am I being picky?”
Well, Ben, the word “ahold” is listed respectfully in the American Heritage Dictionary and in Merriam Webster's.
The British-based Cambridge Dictionary characterizes it parenthetically as “U.S.,” which is a slight snub in Blighty.
It's based on the noun “hold,” meaning “a grip,” “the act of grasping” or “something that may be gripped for support.”
The article “a” became naturally attached to the noun as people began saying things like, “I took ahold of the hand rail and pulled myself up.”
“Hold” can also mean “full or immediate control or possession.”
Buck doubts that Ben could get full and immediate control of his mother-in-law, but he does reckon that he could get in full and immediate touch with her.
“Get ahold” has a somewhat folksy sound to it, which may be the reason the editors of the Daily Kick chose to use it.
“I tried to get aholt of my old mule, Lucifer, but he wouldn't take the bit,” said Uncle Hadacol.
“Maybe you should try to get ahold of him,” Buck said.
Send questions for Buck to Gene Owens, 104 Belspring Lane, Anderson, SC 29621, or email him at BucksEnglish@aol.com. Please let Buck know what town you're from.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 13976Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9656Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9589Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8454Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6577Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6030Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 5383Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister