Buffett's firm buys Greensboro, NC, newspaper
The Greensboro newspaper will be the 28th daily newspaper Berkshire has bought. It is also 30 miles away from the Winston-Salem Journal that Berkshire acquired in the Media General deal.
Doctor said the proximity of Greensboro to several of Berkshire's other newspapers suggests that Buffett's company might be trying to cluster together its newspapers, so they can share some resources.
Buffett has told Berkshire's newspaper publishers that he won't influence their editorial policies, and he isn't routinely involved in the day-to-day operations of other subsidiaries. But Buffett think newspapers should charge for online access to their stories, and several of Berkshire's newspapers have online pay walls.
Berkshire's subsidiaries include Geico and General Reinsurance, BNSF railroad, MidAmerican Energy utility, Fruit of the Loom, Nebraska Furniture Mart, Dairy Queen and many others.
Follow Josh Funk online at www.twitter.com/funkwrite
Berkshire Hathaway Inc.: www.berkshirehathaway.com
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad