Bull riding: Q&A with Ryan Dirteater
Dirteater will be one of many riders in the PBR's WinStar World Casino Invitational Friday through Sunday at the Chesapeake Energy Center.
“I listen to country, some rap, a little bit of rock. It just depends on what mood I am in.”
What is your favorite rodeo song?
“I like 100% Cowboy (by Jason Meadows).”
What is your biggest pet peeve?
“I don't like negative people. I like being around people who have a positive outlook on life.”
You are a member of the Cherokee tribe, are you offended by the use of Native American names and mascots for sports teams such as Redskins, Indians and Savages?
“No. I'm not. I am a Native American and I am proud to be a Native American. I don't think people should be offended by it. My last name is Dirteater and I am a bull rider. How ironic is that?”
What is the strangest request you have ever gotten from a fan?
“I get asked to sign certain parts of the anatomy. It's kind of embarrassing.”
Other than bull riders, what athletes do you respect the most?
“Wrestlers. I was a wrestler a high school. I know how extreme and tough that is. It's intense. It's challenging. It really teaches discipline. You have to eat right. Wrestling requires a lot of balance and body movement, kind of like of bull riding.”
Do you have a favorite pre-ride meal?
“I like chicken alfredo. I try to eat that the night before I ride.”
What is your favorite breakfast?
“Four scrambled eggs, toast, two slices of turkey bacon and bowl of fruit. I try to have that every morning. Sometimes I leave the bacon out and go with five scrambled eggs.”
What do you like to do in your spare time?
“I like to team rope when I am not riding bulls, so you can catch me at the other end of the arena.”
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 22333Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 8521Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6853OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 6505OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 5318Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5086Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4091Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater