Burglar caught by cancer patient sentenced
LAKETON TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) — A West Michigan man who was held at gunpoint by a 63-year-old cancer patient during a home invasion has been sentenced to a year in jail.
MLive.com reports (http://bit.ly/SZbTDF ) Friday that 26-year-old Alex Dickerson also was given two years' probation earlier this week and ordered to pay court costs.
A second man, 27-year-old James Polk, is to be sentenced Monday in Muskegon County Circuit Court. They had pleaded guilty to home invasion.
They were arrested Sept. 20 after breaking into Dixon Smith's Laketon Township home, about 35 miles northwest of Grand Rapids.
Smith has stage 4 lymphoma which is in remission. He held a double-barreled shotgun on the two men after they climbed the stairs to the second floor. It was enough to convince them to surrender until police arrived.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister