H: ° L: °,
Business is sweet for cupcake company
Gigi's Cupcakes, a national chain founded by native Oklahoman Gina Butler, recently opened at 14101 N May Ave.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all 6 photos
She's now set to open her 30th store by Valentine's Day â€” the company's busiest day.
And she's got more than just cupcakes in the oven. Butler, 40, is expecting her first child in May.
Butler was born in Lawton but spent her childhood on a farm in California. As a teen, she started a cleaning company, then moved to Nashville to pursue a country music career.
After years of singing in clubs until the wee hours of the morning, Butler hung up her singing hat but continued her cleaning business.
She decided to open the first cupcake shop in Nashville after her brother stood in line for two hours for a cupcake in New York and declared they weren't as good as Butler's.
Many of the cupcake recipes at Gigi's cupcakes are culled from family favorites made by her, her great-aunt or mother.
â€œWhen you take a bite of my cupcakes, you feel home again,â€ Butler said. â€œWe've lost the art of home cooking, but people still crave it.â€
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 21059Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7331Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7023OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6693OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5627Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4676Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4297Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater