At a glance
Prevalence of mental illness and addiction in Oklahoma
• 21 percent of Oklahomans report having a mental illness in the past year
• 12 percent of Oklahomans report having a substance abuse disorder in the past year
• Between 700,000 and 950,000 Oklahomans suffer from these issues
Oklahomans in need of mental health treatment
• 70 percent of adult Oklahomans and 40 percent of Oklahoma youth who need mental health treatment do not receive it
Oklahomans in need of substance abuse treatment
• 77 percent of adult Oklahomans and 80 percent of Oklahoma youth who need substance abuse services do not receive them
• In Oklahoma, mental disorders are the third leading cause of chronic disease.
• Deaths due to suicide are increasing, jumping from 567 in 2009 to 618 in 2010.
• Whereas many Oklahomans live, on average, to 72 years of age, Oklahomans with mental illnesses live, on average, to 58. The average Oklahoman with a substance abuse issue lives to 43. And for the Oklahomans with both mental health and substance abuse issues, they live, on average, to 41.
Source: The Oklahoma Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services