Here’s our weekly update of Oklahoma State’s place in the NCAA stat book.
A couple observations:
*Berry’s blog on OSU’s rushing numbers gives good insight on why the offense is struggling so much.
*Tons of mediocre numbers overall. Which pretty much sums up the season so far, right?
*The Cowboys’ numbers in the turnover categories (margin, lost, forced) are very good.
*OSU now ranks in the top 40 in the country in scoring defense, total defense and rushing defense.
*Remember when OSU had the nation’s best red zone offense?
*OSU being ranked near the bottom of time of possession is common. But usually it’s because of the Cowboys’ quick-strike offense. Chalk up this ranking to a lot of three-and-outs.
*Good stat you probably don’t realize: the Cowboys have been fantastic at defending kickoff returns, an area of special teams that has not been stellar in recent years. That’s a tribute to Kip Smith’s ability to sky kick, as well as the guys getting down the field to make the tackle.
Top of the heap
5. Kickoff return defense (16.31 yards per return)
T6. Turnover margin (plus-7)
T7. Interceptions (9)
T9. Sacks allowed (0.80 per game)
T13. Turnovers lost (5)
T17. Fumbles lost (2)
T18. Turnovers forced (12)
21. Pass efficiency defense (107.51)
22. Passing offense (300.4 yards per game)
T24. Punt returns (13.25 per return)
T24. Interceptions thrown (3)
25. Red zone offense (91.7 percent)
25. Rushing defense (115.8 yards allowed per game)
26. Red zone defense (73.3 percent)
T28. Scoring defense (20 points allowed per game)
29. Third down conversion percentage defense (32.2)
30. Scoring offense (38 points per game)
Middle of the pack
38. Total defense (361.2)
40. Tackles for loss (6.6 per game)
46. Pass efficiency (142.09)
48. Total offense (445.2 yards per game)
T48. Fourth down conversion percentage (50.0)
50. Completion percentage (61.8)
51. Third down conversion percentage (42.9)
51. Kickoff returns (21.82 yards per return)
T54. Sacks (2 per game)
T55. First down offense (115)
56. First down defense (101)
T60. Penalties (5.80 per game)
63. Yards per completion (12.21)
T63. Tackles for loss allowed (5.80 per game)
T64. Fumbles recovered (3)
66. Net punting (37.15 yards per punt)
76. Punt return defense (8.14 yards allowed per return)
79. Penalty yards (55.4 per game)
Bottom of the barrel
81. Pass defense (245.4 yards allowed per game)
82. Rushing offense (144.8 yards per game)
T91. Fourth down conversion percentage defense (66.7)
122. Time of possession (25 minutes per game)