Bynum, Pistons top short-handed Heat 109-99
The Pistons shot 58 percent from the field to Miami's 51. The Heat had been 31-0 since the beginning of last season when shooting at least 50 percent.
The Heat said before the game they didn't agree with Wade's suspension for making contact with Charlotte's Ramon Sessions earlier in the week.
"That's no excuse. We still had enough," Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said. "Obviously, we're a different team with Dwyane, but we have enough depth that we should be able to overcome missing one guy for a night."
Miami breezed through the first quarter, taking a 10-0 lead and eventually making 11 of its first 14 shots. It was 32-17 after one, but the game turned almost immediately.
Detroit's bench was again outstanding. The Pistons scored the first 14 points of the second and finally took a 41-39 lead on Villanueva's 3-pointer.
The bench — specifically Villanueva, Bynum, Drummond and Daye — scored 36 of Detroit's 41 points in the quarter, and the Pistons went into halftime with a 58-52 lead.
And that was only the beginning. Miami didn't start the third quarter any better than the second, allowing nine straight points. Greg Monroe's basket made it 76-59, and although the Heat increased the pressure defensively, they didn't always get the results they wanted.
After Shane Battier and James made consecutive 3-pointers to pull Miami within nine, James thought he'd knocked the ball away from Jason Maxiell cleanly near midcourt. But a foul was called and Maxiell made one of two free throws to make it 79-69.
It was 81-71 after three.
NOTES: Udonis Haslem is now Miami's career leader with 620 games played, snapping a tie with Wade because of the suspension. Haslem appeared to hurt his right shoulder early on when landing hard after an acrobatic block on Kyle Singler, but he was able to play on. ... Drummond had 10 points and 10 rebounds. ... James and Bosh were the only Miami players to score in double figures.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 30612Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15589Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10266Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9653Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9634Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8172Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8167Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena