Cagliari forced to forfeit Roma match 3-0
MILAN (AP) — Roma has been awarded a 3-0 victory in its game at Cagliari, which was postponed on Sunday for safety reasons after the Sardinian club defied orders to play the Serie A match in an empty stadium.
The Italian league announced its decision to punish Cagliari on Monday, saying that the club's actions were "a blatant violation" of its rules and "the direct and only reason" the game was called off.
Cagliari could face further sanctions as the matter as has also been referred to the Italian Football Federation.
Cagliari President Massimo Cellino had urged fans to ignore the authorities, posting a statement on the club website calling for fans to attend peacefully, regardless of the ruling.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims