Cal QB Maynard does not start opener
BERKELEY, Calif. (AP) — California quarterback Zach Maynard missed the first three series of the season opener against Nevada because he skipped a tutoring appointment earlier in the summer.
Cal made the announcement shortly before kickoff on Saturday. Maynard entered the game late in the first quarter and completed a 20-yard pass to Jacob Wark on his first snap at the renovated Memorial Stadium.
Allan Bridgford started in Maynard's place against the Wolf Pack and went 1 for 7 for 8 yards as Cal fell behind 7-0.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister