Calif. families want chance at 9/11 scholarships

Published on NewsOK Modified: April 24, 2013 at 3:18 pm •  Published: April 24, 2013
Advertisement
;

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — Many of the relatives of Californians killed in the Sept. 11 attacks say they never knew that millions of dollars were raised in their name for college scholarships. Now lawmakers want to give them another chance to apply for money that an Associated Press investigation and subsequent audit found was poorly administered.

The state collected more than $15 million from selling 9/11 memorial license plates after the terrorist attacks, but only a sliver of it went to scholarships, partly because a state agency failed to notify everyone who was eligible to apply for the $5,000 stipends. The state auditor reported last week that dozens of California families were not told about the scholarship fund in time to apply.

"To think that they preyed on people's emotions to sell these plates, and then they lied to us about it. It really bugs me," said Neda Bolourchi, 46, whose mother, a retired nurse, died when her return flight from Boston was hijacked.

Residents of California, where all four jetliners were bound when they were hijacked, have bought or renewed the memorial license plates more than 200,000 times since 2002, spending $50 apiece to buy the plates and $40 a year to renew them. They believed they were helping family members of Sept. 11 victims attend college as part of a law passed in May 2002.

The audit confirmed the findings of an AP investigation last year that found a lack of accountability in California's multimillion-dollar special license plate program and specific examples of misappropriation in the memorial license plate fund.

About 15 percent of the money from the 9/11 plates was to be earmarked for the family members of Sept. 11 victims to attend college. That would have made $2.25 million available for scholarships, but the AP's review found that just $21,381 has reached the children and spouses of the three dozen California residents killed then. The scholarship program closed to new applicants in 2005.

Bolourchi, who lives in Los Angeles, began attending law school shortly after her mother was killed but has not completed her degree. She said $5,000 would help her finish.

She said she believes the California Victim Compensation and Government Claims Board, whose responsibility it was to notify eligible participants, tried to deceive her and used Sept. 11 family members "as props."

"I'm a little jaded because it took this long for us to find out. I think there will be a fight about how to give it back to us, even though they've collected millions and they're continuing to collect more," she said.

A spokesman for the victim compensation board, Jon Myers, said state officials determined Bolourchi was not eligible for a scholarship because she was not a dependent at the time of the terrorist attacks. Bolourchi said she was unemployed then and relying on her parents for help, and would have liked to plead her case.

Myers said Wednesday that officials sent a broad notification letter in 2003 to about 300 potential applicants, including all three named in this story, then sent a follow-up letter with more details in 2005 to the 43 people it eventually determined were eligible to apply. It is unclear whether the letters went to addresses that were current.

This week, several lawmakers said they would begin reviewing the scholarship fund with the eventual goal of getting the money to everyone who deserves it.

"We're going to fix it," said state Sen. Mark DeSaulnier, D-Concord, one of three lawmakers who requested the audit along with Gov. Jerry Brown after the AP report.

Continue reading this story on the...