Cape Verde gains second point as it holds Morocco
Moroccan coach Rachid Taoussi replaced striker Noureddine Amrabat with El Arabi at halftime, and made two further substitutions in the next 20 minutes, but Cape Verde held firm and Moroccan frustration grew.
With some robust tackling and a tight defensive line, the Blue Sharks did not allow their opposition to gain any fluidity and continually caught them offside.
And where Cape Verde was well organized and kept its discipline, the Moroccans were sloppy and prone to squabbling both amongst themselves and with the referee.
"I realized that we didn't take Cape Verde as seriously as we should have, so we played in an irresponsible way," said Taoussi. "There is a difference in the way we played and the way we planned for this game.
"We made a lot of mistakes tonight. It took a bit of time for our players to catch the rhythm of this game. The Moroccan people will be disappointed with the way we played in the first half. But we still have another three points to play for."
Morocco finally found some focus in the final quarter, and forced an equalizer through El Arabi, yet it was Cape Verde which came closest to sneaking a winning goal in the final minutes when substitute Heldon Ramos tested Lamyaghri with a shot that was well placed but lacked power.
The result leaves both teams on two points with a game to play, but the underdog's tail is up and momentum is on its side.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11867Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11199Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7813Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7743Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4737Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4255OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3606Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit