Smoke forces evacuation
Members of the House of Representatives Public Health Committee had to leave a state Capitol committee room Tuesday when smoke came in through the vents. Committee room 412C was nearly full and observers were in two overflow rooms. Doug Kellogg, building manager for the Capitol, said a fan motor in an air conditioning unit in the building's attic overheated. No fire occurred, but smoke came from the overheated unit and circulated into the vents of the committee room and overflow rooms, Kellogg said. Committee members were able to return to the committee room and resume their meeting about an hour later.
Bullying bill advances
The House Common Education Committee passed a measure that allows a school district to grant an emergency transfer for a student who is the victim of bullying as long as the district has been informed of the incident. House Bill 1422, by Rep. Tommy Hardin, Madill, passed 16-0. It now goes to the full House.
Gun measure proposed
Legislation filed by Rep. Paul Wesselhoft would eliminate a felony for law-abiding gun owners. Under current law, anyone found boarding a bus with a firearm, concealed or otherwise, would be guilty of a felony. House Bill 1558 would allow licensed gun owners to board a bus with their firearm without fear of reprimand, said Wesselhoft, R-Moore.
MICHAEL MCNUTT, CAPITOL BUREAU