Carlos Corporan's homer all OKC RedHawks need to enter break with win
OKC beats New Orleans 3-2 behind Corporan's first homer since May 19.
METAIRIE, La. — Carlos Corporan was due.
The Oklahoma City catcher hit a three-run homer, his first since May 19, on Sunday to help the RedHawks edge New Orleans 3-2 at Zephyr Field to earn a series victory.
The RedHawks (52-38) enter the All-Star break in sole possession of first in the American Southern Division.
Corporan homered in the second inning, giving the RedHawks a 3-0 lead they never relinquished.
New Orleans (47-44) scored two runs in the eighth on a solo homer by Donnie Murphy and an RBI single by Mike Cervenak. But with the tying run on base, OKC reliever Hector Ambriz struck out former MLB All-Star Gaby Sanchez to end the inning.
Mickey Storey retired the Zephyrs in order in the ninth for his second save.
Dallas Keuchel started the game for the RedHawks, pitching three innings. Aneury Rodriguez (3-7) earned the win with three shutout innings.
Oklahoma City won 3 of 5 from New Orleans, with each victory being by just one run.
The RedHawks return to action at 7:05 p.m. on Thursday at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark against the Zephyrs.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14121OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 13945Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 8893Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6932Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5880Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5330Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 5280Student shot dead during botched home invasion