Carrying handguns in Oklahoma an easy process for those who qualify
More than 141,000 currently permitted to carry concealed will be able to carry openly beginning Nov. 1.
Videoview all videos
Oct 26Beginning Thursday, gun owners with a permit will be able...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The cost is $100 for a five-year permit, or $200 for 10 years. It can cost up to $100 to be processed.
Licenses will be issued or denied within 60 days if no prohibitive records are revealed.
Currently more than 141,000 concealed-carry permits have been issued in Oklahoma. Each of these will be considered valid for open carry beginning Thursday.
Twenty-nine states have no law that prohibits the open carrying of handguns. Oklahoma will join 14 others that allow it as long as a person has a state-issued permit.
Five states will remain that do not allow the open carrying of firearms, including Arkansas and Texas.
California banned the practice last year with the exception of its unincorporated areas.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 54680Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 35701Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 32594Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8907Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 8388Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 5554Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4146OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins