Central Oklahoma Humane Society envisions foster program to be Stepping Stone to new homes
The Central Oklahoma Humane Society is relaunching its fostering program under the name Stepping Stone with the hope of attracting more people to foster animals.
Whitney Zeka-McFadden has taken care of more dogs than most people could in 10 lifetimes.
Zeka-McFadden fosters dogs for the Central Oklahoma Humane Society. Over the past decade, she has opened her home to at least 300 dogs and cats for varying lengths of time.
Videoview all videos
May 9The Central Oklahoma Humane Society is re-launching its...
Photoview all photos
Foster homes provide a bridge between a city animal shelter and a permanent home. The Humane Society is relaunching its foster home program for dogs and calling it Stepping Stone.
Zeka-McFadden is just that for the four dachshund mix puppies she currently is fostering. There are about 100 foster volunteers in central Oklahoma. The organization would like to double that.
For Zeka-McFadden, fostering dogs is an excellent use of her time. Almost all expenses, including food and medical care, are provided by the Humane Society.
“There are no false pretenses,” she said. “You get attached to them, but at the same time you know when they get their permanent home, you can foster more dogs. I shed a tear for every one of them, but in a way it re-energizes you to do more because you see that it's working.”
Zeka-McFadden typically fosters special needs dogs that have birth defects or need ongoing medical treatment.
Most foster homes only keep dogs for several weeks, but she will typically have one for a longer period of time. She also has six dogs of her own that live with her on an acreage in Oklahoma County.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 17917Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 11872Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 10569OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10552Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 10275Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 9958Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 9874Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss