Oklahoma City couple find adventure, danger on Indonesian peak
Mike Dillard, chief executive officer of Century Martial Arts and a prominent area developer, is a well known adrenaline junkie — but even he admits he was shaken by his latest adventure.
Videoview all videos
Apr 14Steve Lackmeyer interviews Michael Dillard about escaping...
Photoview all 16 photos
What began as a recent attempt at mountain climbing in Indonesia was far more dangerous than he ever envisioned as he trekked through territory with battles raging among tribes, Indonesian soldiers, rebels, police and mercenaries.
It's an adventure that involved a four-day detention at the world's largest gold mine, the threat of being held for ransom by mercenaries and a daring escape.
Patti Beard was talking to a friend on the night of March 21 when an alarming text message popped up on her phone from Dillard, her brother and employer.
“Stuck in mine detention. Might be public stock. Need strings pulled to get out.”
Over the next few hours, Beard and Dillard exchanged a series of text messages that left them both convinced that Dillard and his wife, Libby, were in grave danger at an American-owned gold mine in a remote Indonesian jungle where they had initially sought refuge.
Beard said authorities with SOS International, which Dillard retained for emergency medical care, warned that without a quick escape the Dillards likely would be escorted from the Indonesian gold mine by mercenaries who would demand a high ransom for their release.
“I've lived a charmed life,” Dillard confesses recalling his various exploits. “I've gotten to do a lot of fun things because of the job I have.”
But what ensued is the sort of drama that Dillard admits was over the top for even a self-admitted adrenaline junkie as himself.
The Oklahoman was not able to reach someone at the gold mining company for reaction to the Dillards' story.
The trip began with the goal of climbing the
They trained for months before attempting to tackle
They employed Jean Pavillard as their guide — a 24-year veteran who boasted experience mountain climbing on each continent.
Pavillard believed he did a good job explaining the risks of this trip. The Papau province is in a remote part of Indonesia — an area not accustomed to tourism and where the tribes have yet to catch up with the modern world.
“When you go on an expedition, such as
Dillard insists some information about the area was known — but not explained before the journey. He did not know that the Freeport/Grasberg mine near the base of the mountain has been the source of armed conflict for decades.
With profits topping $4.1 billion in 2010, the Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc. retains 91 percent of the proceeds while the remaining 9 percent goes to the Indonesian government. Papuans have fought to increase their share of the profits, resulting in violent strikes they claim are suppressed by mercenaries hired as strikebreakers by the mine's owners.
Tribes are at war. The government is battling the Free Papua Movement — rebels seeking to overthrow the government of Papua and West Papau. Security forces, rebels and tribes all stand accused of violence in the area, with deadly terrorist attacks reported just a month before the Dillards' arrival.
Yet with so much strife in the area, the Dillards say they knew nothing of the danger that awaited them.
After two days of traveling to Indonesia, the couple arrived by air in Sugapa, a remote village separated from the mountain by a primitive jungle.
Here, the Dillards witnessed how business is done with the natives. Tribal groups battled over who would be hired as their “porters,” who carry gear and supplies, and aid in navigating the trails), and the tour organizers used food, tobacco and other means of bribery to negotiate with locals over permits.
More hints of what was ahead began to emerge: Pavillard advised the couple they would have to use a different trail than the one used on the guide's previous trek due to fighting among the five represented tribes.
The Dillards also discovered the porters insist on bringing women and children on the hike, despite their objections.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 51863Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14915Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9511Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7908Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7474Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6783Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 6733Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims