CEO buys private Oklahoma City airport, plans to remodel
Jerry Hunter, chief executive of US Fleet Tracking, is the new owner of Sundance Airport at NW 122 and Sara Road. He is planning a $1 million renovation of the private airport.
Videoview all videos
Jan 28Jerry Hunter, chief executive of US Fleet Tracking, is...
Photoview all 6 photos
Like most small airports in Oklahoma, Sundance doesn't have an air traffic control tower. But it does have a 5,000-foot jet-capable runway, an asset that makes it unique for a small, private airport, said Grayson Ardies, aviation programs manager for the Oklahoma Aeronautics Commission.
City officials in 1984 celebrated the opening of the airport, which cost $12.5 million to build, according to The Oklahoman archives.
For at least 20 years before, the site consisted of a sod landing strip with a small hangar that was periodically rented by a hobbyist to rebuild an old plane.
Now, about 150 aircraft are based at Sundance, and it handles about 3,000 total landings and take offs each year, according to data provided by the airport to Aeronautics Commission. In comparison, Wiley Post Airport, a public Oklahoma City airport, has more than 330 based aircraft and handles an average of 70,000 aircraft operations a year.
Hunter plans to set up a Young Eagles program at Sundance as well as a flight school. He believes the new restaurant and competitively-priced aircraft fuel sold on site will attract more pilots.
“There is a thriving aviation community out here,” Hunter said.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 13360Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9892Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9697Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8639Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6622Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5282Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4594Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister