Share “Chain blast feared before clean-up at La....”

Chain blast feared before clean-up at La. site

Published on NewsOK Modified: December 4, 2012 at 6:06 pm •  Published: December 4, 2012
Advertisement

Repeated phone calls by The Associated Press to company officials seeking comment have not been returned

Site work is being directed by the state police, who have opened an investigation into why the materials were stored improperly.

Sexton, who inspected the site Monday night, said the storage buildings appear to be about 10,000 square feet in size, with 14-16 foot ceilings. He said the amount of material stored in them — in plastic bags and cardboard boxes — varies.

Authorities were limiting access to Doyline, though many residents had returned and there were signs of life. Police were urging them to stay off the streets.

Sexton said a trio of burglars apparently thought they could take advantage of the evacuation and attempted to break into the home of an elderly couple just outside the city limits early Saturday.

When they tried to break into a rear window, the 77-year-old woman shot one with a .44-caliber handgun. Sexton said the injured suspect was hospitalized in critical condition and the other two suspects were arrested. He did not have their identities.

"She dropped the hammer on one of them. One is fighting for his life," said Sexton, 59, who is in his third term as sheriff. He said deputies were on the watch for others trying to take advantage of the evacuation.

The town was previously evacuated in 2006 after the explosion of different material at Camp Minden, a former military base now owned by the state of Louisiana and leased out as an industrial park.