Chargers lose S Bigby for season with groin injury
SAN DIEGO (AP) — The San Diego Chargers placed strong safety Atari Bigby on season-ending injured reserve Tuesday because of a groin injury and signed linebacker Bront Bird.
Bigby, who started all 11 games, was hurt in the first half Sunday in a 16-13 overtime loss to Baltimore.
Bird played in nine games with the Chargers in 2011 after making the squad as an undrafted rookie from Texas Tech. He was released during final roster cuts in August.
The Chargers also filled a vacancy on their practice squad by signing safety Sean Cattouse, an undrafted rookie from California.
Also Tuesday, it appeared the Chargers are headed for their second straight local TV blackout and third this season. The team says nearly 12,000 tickets need to be sold by 1:25 p.m. Thursday or the game will be blacked out in Southern California.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 88132Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 35601Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction