Chargers release 15-year veteran LB Takeo Spikes
SAN DIEGO (AP) — The San Diego Chargers have released linebacker Takeo Spikes in their first major move under new general manager Tom Telesco.
The 36-year-old Spikes has played 15 NFL seasons, including the last two with San Diego. He has started 215 of his 219 career games played, including all 32 with the Chargers. He has 1,737 career tackles, including 218 with the Chargers.
Spikes has never been on a playoff team. He earlier played with Cincinnati, Buffalo, Philadelphia and San Francisco. The Chargers missed the playoffs the last three seasons.
In a statement Thursday, Telesco called Spikes "a true professional and a class act."
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 37007Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 32519Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 27986Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 8311Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6200OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3643College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3643Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?