Charles Barkley on Westbrook behavior: Thunder's 'got to handle this'
Russell Westbrook's behavior in the third quarter of the Thunder's victory over Memphis Thursday dominated TNT's postgame coverage.
Westbrook barked at teammate Thabo Sefolosha, took a wild shot that prompted coach Scott Brooks to pull him, and became enraged as assistant coach Maurice Cheeks tried to counsel him on the bench. Westbrook knocked over a chair and stormed off the court into a tunnel at Chesapeake Energy Arena.
Here's what Westbrook said about the incident in a interview with TNT's Craig Sager:
Sager: "Everything was going your way. You had a big lead. You were playing terrific, and all of a sudden (in the)third quarter words were exchanged. What go you so upset?"
Westbrook: "Ah, nothing. Just a little miscommunication."
Sager: "Between you and Thabo?"
Westbrook: "Nah, just miscommunication."
Sager: "I know that happens once in a while. All's well that ends well. But at times do you think you need to control your temper more?"
Westbrook: "I control it like a man, like I did."
Sager: "What's that mean?"
Westbrook: (No response)
Sager: "Put it behind you and go ahead and win?"
Westbrook: "If that's what you say, bro."
TNT studio analysts Kenny Smith, Shaquille O'Neal and Charles Barkley discussed the incident, with Smith and Barkley saying the Thunder has a team chemistry problem.
Smith: "Chemistry is a fragile thing ... I hate to walk around the locker room on egg shells on a guy when he does something like that. Now you can't act natural around this guy for a couple days, and that really messes your team morale up."
O'Neal: "Westbrook is one of the leaders of this team and in order to be a great leader you have to be a great listener. He messed up. Sefolosha's right. Sefolosha's man doubled down with five seconds (left on the shot clock). He should have kicked it out. That's smart basketball. Sefolosha said, 'yo, pass the ball.' He got upset. He's wrong. He knows he's wrong. Move on."
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 15646Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9491Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8139Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7458Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 7219Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6377Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6374Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit