Chesapeake Energy facing formal SEC investigation
Oklahoma City-based Chesapeake Energy Corp. on Friday said it is facing an investigation by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
Chesapeake Energy Corp. is facing a formal investigation by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, the company confirmed Friday in a regulatory filing.
Videoview all videos
Mar 1Chesapeake Energy Corp. on Friday said it is facing an...
Photoview all photos
The SEC's Fort Worth, Texas, office initiated an informal inquiry of the Oklahoma City oil and natural gas company last year after Reuters reported on more than $1 billion in personal loans secured by CEO Aubrey McClendon, using his personal stake in Chesapeake wells as collateral.
The company has since said it would discontinue the Founder Well Participation Program, which allowed McClendon to take a 2.5 percent stake in each well the company drilled.
Chesapeake, which had been cooperating with the SEC, was notified Dec. 21 that the inquiry would continue as an investigation. The SEC has issued subpoenas for information and testimony.
“The company, including Mr. McClendon, is providing information to the SEC in connection with this matter,” according to Friday's filing. “The company is also responding to related inquiries from other governmental and regulatory agencies and self-regulatory organizations.”
Chesapeake's board, which was revamped last year amid shareholder unrest, announced last week that its review of McClendon's finances revealed no sign of intentional misconduct.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
Expanded Chesapeake coverage
Chesapeake coverage on NewsOK:
- 90701Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 17035OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12738Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8924Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8598Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8454How to help tornado victims
- 8359Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located