Chesapeake Energy names new general counsel
Chesapeake Energy Corp. named a longtime Oklahoma City trial attorney from the state's largest law firm as its general counsel Friday.
James R. Webb, a partner at McAfee & Taft, will become senior vice president — legal and general counsel for Chesapeake.
Videoview all videos
Sep 21Chesapeake Energy Corp. named a longtime Oklahoma City...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Chesapeake said former general counsel Henry J. Hood, the company's senior vice president for land and legal since 1997, will retain his responsibilities for Chesapeake's land and regulatory departments. Hood was named general counsel in 2006.
Webb, 45, has been working on a contract basis with Chesapeake for the last four months as chief legal counsel.
Chesapeake has faced numerous lawsuits from shareholders in the last several months as revelations came to light about CEO Aubrey McClendon's personal financial dealings involving his stakes in the company's wells. Other legal issues include investigations into land deals in Michigan and an informal inquiry by the Securities and Exchange Commission's Fort Worth, Texas, office.
In a statement, McClendon said Webb was well-known and highly regarded in the legal and business communities.
“During the past four months at Chesapeake, Jim has earned the respect of his colleagues on our senior management team,” McClendon said. “I have great confidence that Jim and Henry will continue to work well together and this change in responsibility will allow Henry to focus exclusively on the company's important land and regulatory initiatives currently under way.”
Business Photo Galleriesview all
Expanded Chesapeake coverage
Chesapeake coverage on NewsOK:
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad